SUMMER 2020 BOOK DRIVE
JULY 8 TO AUGUST 12
You may donate books or make a monetary contribution for the purchase of books.
Monetary contribution: Mail check to: Literacy Volunteers, PO Box 39, Belfast, ME 04915
Books: See attached list for suggested titles to purchase and donate. These titles were selected to appeal to a variety of youth ages and needs, while being mindful of families with various reading levels.
You may prefer to choose your own titles. Please choose books that:
1) Support themes of this outreach education team partners (Belfast Bay Watershed Coalition, Restorative Justice Project & Literacy Volunteers).
- connecting children to nature
- themes of sharing, caring, resilience, understanding differences
- nutrition & gardening
2) Offer colorful and clear illustrations to support a simple story line. Rhyming stories and books with repeated patterned sounds offer great appeal as well as literacy skill development.
Suggested Book Resources:
The socially responsible bookseller with free shipping that donates a book for every book sold
- Bella Books, Pendleton Avenue, Belfast
- Left Bank Bookstore has a varied inventory of children’s books and will order any titles you request.
Goal: 200 donated books
o This will contribute to the total goal for 75 children to receive books every week
during a 7-week period when food is being distributed in 9 needy neighborhoods.
Deadline: Accepting books Weds. July 8 –Weds. August 12
The WCTC director, Kevin Michaud, has graciously offered to store books in the cafeteria as we sort and select for distribution. Use entrance at left side of building. You will need to ring the buzzer for admittance.
Open 8:30-2:30; Monday-Thursday; Book drop available on other days.
Book Donation Drop-off Site:
Waldo County Technical Center
1022 Waldo Road
Waldo, ME 04915